Yield: 2-4 servings
Dish: main meal
Cuisine: New Zealand
- 10 oxtails (600g)
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves (or 3 tsp of crushed garlic)
- 1/2 handful of thyme
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 2 cups of dark red wine
- 2 carrots
- 1 large parsnip (or 2 smaller)
- 3-4 celery stalks
- 1 swede
- Fry oxtails for 5 minutes until all sides are browned and add to the crockpot
- Fry onion for 2 minutes until lightly brown, then add garlic and thyme, fry for further 2 mins to release the flavours, then add to the crockpot
- Pour the beef broth into the frypan to get all the flavours out of the pan
- Add beef broth to the crockpot with the red wine
- Add vegetables (All chopped into a similar chunky piece size)
- Cook for 4 hours on medium heat or for 8 hours on low heat. If using the oven preheat it to 160c then cook for 3 hours.
- Let it cool then refrigerate overnight
- The next day scrape off the fat layer on the top and reheat in the oven for 1 hour at 180c. If you would like to thicken the sauce (I prefer it watery) mix 1 tsp of cornflour into 1/4 cup of cold water then mix through the stew 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve, as is, or with mashed potato.
Review this recipe
0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.