Yield: 4 servings
Dish: New Zealand Original
Cuisine: New Zealand
1 eggplant 1 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp of crushed garlic (or 1 clove of fresh garlic)
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 glass of red wine
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- A pinch of chilli powder
- Grated cheese
- 2 tbsp of cream cheese
- Black olives
- Slice eggplant into thin 0.5cm slices. Coat in a little oil and sprinkle over the salt.
- Grill each side for 2 minutes, until soft and slightly brown
- Meanwhile prepare tomato sauce, Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add garlic, fry for 30 sec until browned. Add tinned tomatoes and reduce for 15 minutes stirring as needed, When tomatoes have become a thick sauce add tomato paste, red wine, cinnamon, salt and chilli powder. Taste and adjust to your taste.
- Mix cream cheese and black olives. Add 1/2 tsp to each eggplant slice and roll.
- Lay rolls in a casserole dish, add tomato sauce and sprinkle over the grated cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180c until hot through and cheese has melted
- (While baking fry steak and steam broccoli or any other favourite greens).