Korean Rice Bowl
A Simple Rice Bowl
I've suggested this recipe because it is a great way to a varied family of many diets, like, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free. You can cater for many diets, starting with vegan and working your way up with single additions. It is always great to show variety and colour when serving up to children and you can pop slightly different vegetables on the plate for fussier eaters.
1 cup of cooked rice per person
3-5 Tbsp sesame oil for cooking
Add chicken or sir fry beef
3 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Maple syrup
3 Tbsp Apple puree
2 Tbsp Sesame oil
2 tsp crushed chilli
1 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp cornflour
Prepare Tofu (and/ore chicken or beef)
1. Dice protein into 2-3cm dice, and marinate in the sauce mix (less cornflour) for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better.
Prepare Rice Bowl
2. Pop rice onto steam
3. Meanwhile prepare vegetables. Carrots are best julienned or grated, spring onion diced, single Shanghai leaves, diced raw sweetcorn kernels
4. Fry the vegetables that you'd like fried for 1 minute in 1 Tbsp sesame oil.
5. Set out on the plate like the images
6. Then fry either the meat or Tofu in 2 Tbsp of heated sesame oil, until browned on the edges. When cooking Tofu it's best if you don't turn it to often. Set aside the leftover sauce.
7. When your protein has been fried, add to your plate. Prepare sauce by simmering for 30 minutes until a lovely sticky sauce forms.
8. Done, eat immediately!